Wednesday 10 December 2014

Catching the Breath: How Running Changed My Life

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9d/67/3a/9d673a7f7d20d55fb93ee35a703b531a.jpg
The truth is that running has dramatically changed my life. I don't know where I would be without my running practice. This doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy or healthy, but it does mean that the habit has played a very powerful role in my personal growth and well-being. Running has supported me through many rough points in my life and acted as a simple way to gain a lot of ground, calm, clarity and focus during times where I struggled to find those feelings.

My experience is proof that one habit can play a huge part in how happy, alive and connected we feel. Yes, I have other habits, practices and ways of thinking that support me, but being physically active definitely tops the list.

Running is my thing, but it doesn't have to be yours. What matters more than what you do, is the effect that the activity has on the body and that you do that thing consistently. Any physical exercise where we move our body to sweat, get our heart rate up and blood pumping is going to get the same result. 

There's no need to workout every day.  In fact, we need the rest days in between, they are important to our sense of balance and ironically to our desire to be active. When we don't push ourselves too hard and listen to our body, giving it time to rest, we find that we want to be active. We want to do it because it feels good. Its not a chore. Its a desire.

And psychology is there to back us up with time-tested facts. Feel good, pleasure-inducing chemicals such as dopamine and serotonin are released during physical activity.

"They improve mood and protect against mental health disorders. Serotonin, which is produced by long-term cardio exercise, decreases depression and dopamine improves your mood and long-term memory. It stimulates highly pleasurable feelings in the brain and could contribute to what is called runners high." (www.livestrong.com)

The emotional, mental, physical and even spiritual benefits are endless. I'm sure I will write more about this topic, but in the meantime let me leave you with this- let's come from a place of self worth and practice self care because it feels soo good. 

What is your physical practice?


No comments:

Post a Comment