Friday 8 February 2013

Feeling Your Pain, Expressing from Your Heart


  
Over the past few weeks, I haven't been as active with my writing as I usually am. My apologies for this delay. It has given me much-needed time to reflect and gather my thoughts.

I needed to center myself around important things that needed attention. And throughout this time I have learned a lot. It hasn't been easy, but it has been worth it. And I want to share it with you.

We have all had painful experiences, we all know loss in some way or another. Whether it is a breakup, divorce, loss of a job or friendship, loss is difficult to deal with. Its like a train that is approaching that you don't want to get on, but you know you have to get on in order to move past where you are to get to where you want to be.

I aim to be personal with my blogs, but I am going to try to be more open then I have ever been with my writing in this article because I know that more honesty allows for more understanding.

In the past few months, I have been faced with a few losses- some happened recently and others are older but have taken longer to deal with. And this is not to say that I haven't enjoyed many positive experiences recently- I certainly have. I am also traveling to Europe and the US in the next few weeks, something I have been meaning to do for a while.

But excitement and adventure cannot blind us from what is within us- even if it is painful. Any painful experience, such as loss, needs our attention. We must grieve and feel the emotion. Believe me, I know its hard. But this is not to say that we can't nurture ourselves in the process of grieving. We can be kind to ourselves and be open to help.

We can feel the pain and move with it too by expressing ourselves each day in the world, even with our vulnerability. We can take risks and be courageous in the face of vulnerability.
We can be honest and tell people how we really feel, even if we are not as put-together as we expect ourselves to be. In fact, I believe that true beauty is found in imperfection.

If we keep our emotions bottled up, it may look nice on the outside, but they will accumulate and eventually come out at some point. It is important to express what is inside. It is ok to not be ok. We develop into much more appreciative beings when we are able to embrace our pain as well as our happiness.

Keep in mind that crying is no sign of weakness- it is actually one of strength. The only way to reach our truest selves is to embrace each step of our inner journey, whatever it entails.

I spent some time indoors today while it snowed beautifully outside. I allowed myself to do nothing other than to be with myself. And I can tell you, its not easy.

We fear being with our own emotion more than most things. This is because it is unpredictable. How long will this last? What if it takes over my life? Keep in mind that these are all fears that become irrelevant when we are able to let go and embrace what is. By moving through the emotion without putting a deadline to when we think it should end, we are able to move past it.

Trust in yourself. Trust that you will move on. And most of all, trust in your strength to face what is.

With much love,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment