Thursday 12 November 2015

This is Why you Need to Travel as Much as you Possibly Can

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a6/ae/59/a6ae590ee603b28eee0645f2c8745379.jpgI remember when I was on Vancouver Island, BC, a few weeks ago and went on a day hike to a giant tree. There were three of us going on the hike, including myself. We proceeded to climb the tree, which at different levels had these big nets attached to it which were also attached to the trees surrounding it. Getting up to the first level was scary. There were three levels and each net got smaller and smaller as you would climb higher. Despite my fear, I pushed past the thoughts and focused on what I was doing in the moment, until I found myself in the top net.

I looked out at treetops and the Pacific Ocean as I sat in that tiny-ass hammock. It was breathtaking. Time slowed down and I realized that this was the best way I can describe how magical traveling can be.

The magic about travel is that is puts us in the position to see the world from a different perspective.  Or maybe just to have more perspective when we didn't have much before. Traveling opens our eyes to beauty, makes us more grateful for the world we live in and allows us to step back from our everyday lives to realize that the things we often stress about are so unimportant compared to the eye-opening experiences, connections and personal growth we create when we get out of our comfort zone.

Traveling is the best education
When we travel, what we learn is for life because we could not be more present to an experience than when we are physically in it. We learn through doing and following our instinct. We learn about people. We learn about survival, budgeting and asking for what we need. We learn about ourselves.

You meet the best people
We can meet amazing people wherever we are, but when I've traveled I've really met some of the most inspiring individuals. One reason is that because when I'm traveling, I'm more open. But also, because meeting other travelers means you meet others who value personal growth and adventure. The people I've met while traveling in the past few years are still in my life and very close to my heart.

Mountains, Rivers, Forests and Beaches
I must say that the people we meet along our travels are what bring meaning and purpose to the adventure. I've traveled on my own, but what makes the trip really real and worthwhile is meeting other adventurers and love-filled souls along the way and being able to share your experiences with these people. However, it is still important to do some research and choose the best adventures. I like planning a bit and asking around. When I go to a place, I want to know what will take my breath away. For example, when I go to Iceland, I definitely want to see the Northern Lights. These wonders exist to be explored.

Traveling sends you into the unknown
The unknown is where the magic happens. It's where we discover what we previously didn't even know to exist about the world, people and ourselves. The reason for this is simply because we are forced to be open. Away from the certainty of our jobs, routines or familiar relationships, we are pushed to look around us and within us with fresh eyes and perhaps see things for the first time. We are reminded of who we truly are, our essence that defines our aliveness itself. And I'm starting to believe that this has a lot to do with being thrown into the unknown, facing our fear and being open.

So I urge you to travel. I promise you, it will change your life.


“We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.”


1 comment: